Thursday, December 17, 2009

Eat less, Talk more - Potatoes 29 Rs and Mobile charges 29 Paise

Traveling through a jam packed road to my office today in the morning, FM in my cab was playing Masakkali-Matakkali song. I was just in a mood to swing along with the momentum of this Rehman mania that goes all through Delhi-6 to Slumdog Millionaire. But always the FM channels need sponsors to entertain us when we look out from our windows and wait to get the traffic signal go green. It was the time for Uninor who claim it to be their number now (Ab mera number hai!!!!) with perhaps the cheapest mobile call rates in India with just 29 paise per minute. WOW!!!! What an amazing idea it’s…just 29 paise. I felt as if the cost of living is going down every day with such schemes. But suddenly I remembered the incident that happened yesterday with me. To prepare our dinner, we needed some potatoes and I went out to the shopkeeper to get a KG of it. The shock couldn’t be controlled when I had to pay for potatoes. 29 Rs was what I had to pay him for a KG of unboiled potatoes…I was feeling as if the earth stopped revolving around its axis and started moving around mine. Thankfully my signal was green and we could go ahead. But I was in no mood to control thinking about these two incidents.

We are living in a 21st century full of gizmos, computers, online communities and everything we ever dared to even dream. And the same I couldn’t ever dare to dream thinking about the cost of my potatoes. I somehow can manage both with my dinner and calls, but I can’t stop thinking about those who strive to survive starving. Should the poor people of India be allowed only to make calls and chat with their families and friends or they should be allowed to fulfill their stomach needs? We anyways crossed all signals and traffic jams but this question is still jammed in my mind and heart…should India eat less and talk more?

7 comments:

Deepika Joshi said...

this is very true.

vijay said...

rightly said joshi ji . Sooner or later we are going to have days when talking on phone will fulfill our hunger .

Unknown said...

very true.....

Thanuja Ponnanna said...

Thats absolutely right..... Soon there will be a time when people have to suffer with hunger.

Maggi said...

Very realistic longing ...
Why not people do something to satisfy the real needs of a commoner better, than these luxuries..??

sanjay ghildiyal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sanjay ghildiyal said...

well maggi..
if you r asking about the action, pple sud tak agnst ths situation..than yes we can start , althgh a small step by not wasting food in our plate after eating...
i mean at least we can encourage pple to not to take food in their plate more than they can eat.. .. its an action which can fight against ths situation directly or indireactly..
a small but a worth step